Monday, February 18, 2008

A Challenge for Me

I have found that photographing my work for the internet is very challenging. I have been working to improve my pictures. I have tried the following:

Making a Light Box - I used a tutorial on Instructables. It didn't cost me a thing because I had all the materials right in my basement. I used an old moving box, some thin white cloth, and duct tape.

Trying different light sources. Right now I am using some halogen desk type lamps at the sides of the box and a gooseneck desk lamp over the top. I just bought a GE Reveal flood type bulb today. I don't know how it will work yet.

Purchased Photoshop software to edit my photos. It is definitely better than the HP software that came with our printer.

Using a tripod and sometimes the timer option on my camera.

Adjusting the white balance to incandescent and adjusting the EV setting for each picture. I have been experimenting with different EV settings for each pose and then choosing the best look when I edit the pictures.

These are some things I am trying. I have been trying to replace all the pictures in my Etsy shop, but it is a slow process. I think the pictures are getting better.

2 comments:

MGoodell said...

I know, pictures can be so frustrating sometimes, it looks like you are on the right track though, I still havnt made myself the lightbox!

High Desert Diva said...

Definitely the hardest part for me, too...I'm thinking I'm going to have to purchase Photoshop as well...